ABOUT THIS WORKSHOP
How can I design curriculum and instruction to meet the needs of my 21st century learners? How can my school faculty improve the quality of collaboration and communication vertically and across grade levels? Join us in this active work session where you will dive into: 1) the curriculum mapping review process and, 2) revising and updating an existing unit of study to make it an engaging learning experience. Dr. Pazos will provide feedback and guidance on both the big picture of curriculum mapping and the instructional level of quality unit design with a wealth of dynamic resources.
Our focus will be on how to:
- Lay out plans for the four phases of school wide curriculum mapping implementation.
- Develop big ideas and essential questions to drive inquiry in your unit.
- Ensure our content choices are timely, current, and engaging.
- Select salient skills to engage in the examination of content.
- Create upgraded modern assessments to reflect student learning.
- Integrate digital literacy, media savvy, and global connections in your unit of study.
- Organize strategic reviews of student assessments to inform long-term curriculum planning.
- Provide constructive feedback to colleagues on collaborative unit design.
Participants should bring existing curriculum maps and documents to the session. We advise that teachers choose a specific unit of study or an idea for a new curriculum design unit, preferably brought to share in an online format. Please bring a laptop or tablet and your imagination!
ABOUT THE FACILITATOR
Dr. Ana M Pazos is Director of Curriculum, Assessment, and Support Services at Gulliver Schools in Miami, Florida. She was responsible for the launching, coordination, and ongoing curriculum mapping initiative in grades PreK 3-8th, and will now lead the initiative in grades Prek-12. She has been privileged to attend the Curriculum Mapping Boot Camps by Curriculum 21 with Heidi Hayes Jacobs and has been working with her closely in the last few months both through Gulliver and privately as a consultant. Dr. Pazos has worked with several independent schools as a consultant helping them to devise Curriculum Mapping Initiatives that are tailored to their unique needs. In addition, to her work around curriculum, Ana serves as Director of Support Services, progress monitoring, and assessments and therefore directs a multi-tiered system of support for students through grade 12. Although she has been devoted to the independent school world for the last eight years, Ana continues to teach graduate level courses at the University of Miami as an adjunct faculty.
Life happens. We understand that there will be times when you cannot attend a workshop that you have registered and paid for. We strive to be as helpful and flexible as possible when things out of your control happen. Please visit our FAQ page for detailed information about our cancellation policy and answers to frequently asked questions about enrollment and membership.