Creating Inclusive Classrooms (Bay Area)
How do we create the best possible learning environment for all students in our classrooms? Turn your commitment into action with this dynamic one day workshop designed to provide you with ideas, examples and resources that help you better support all of your students to thrive.
Approaches and skills you will learn:
- Cultural Competency: cultural identifiers, distinction from old school diversity approaches, and cultural competence as educational imperative
- Experiences Across Difference: internalized oppression/dominance, stereotype threat, microaggressions, code switching, privilege, intent vs impact
- Inclusive Classroom Practices
- Developmentally Appropriate Diversity Work
Questions we will explore together:
- What are the opportunity gaps and disparities for students of marginalized identities in a classroom or school setting that does not practice cultural competency?
- What are ways to create inclusion in the classroom through curricular, pedagogical, assessment-related, and relational approaches?